Adult Protection In Minnesota
What phone numbers do I call to report suspected maltreatment?
Minnesota has a new central system for reporting suspected maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults called the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC). It is a state-wide common entry point available 24/7. To report suspected maltreatment of a vulnerable adult, call 1-844-880-1574. This is a toll free number available for the public.
Who is a vulnerable adult?
A vulnerable adult is a person 18 years of age or older who
- is a resident or inpatient of a facility or
- is receiving services from an agency licensed by Department of Human Services (DHS) or the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) or
- has an impairment or disability that impairs the individual from meeting their basic needs and protecting themselves from harm
What is Considered Maltreatment of a Vulnerable Adult?
Types of Maltreatment:
- abuse: physical, emotional, sexual
- financial exploitation: misuse of a vulnerable adult's funds, property or assets
- neglect: failure to provide for a vulnerable adult's basic needs. The absence of care or services to maintain a person's health and safety.
For additional information, please review the following brochure: Adult Protection Brochure
How Do I Make a Vulnerable Adult Report?
Call 1-844-880-1574: The Minnesota Vulnerable Adult Reporting Center.The MAARC Center has been developed to make reporting easier and to assure the highest quality of communication between state and county protective services. IF YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE IMMEDIATE HEALTH & SAFETY OF AN INDIVIDUAL, PLEASE DIAL 911.
Adult Protection Resource Links:
- Resources for Family Caregivers Brochure
- Long-Term Care Consultation Services Brochure
- Disability Linkage Line Information or phone them at 1-866-333-2466
- Senior Linkage Line Website or phone them at 1-800-333-2433
- MN Department of Human Services
- MN Office of Ombudsman for Long Term Care
- MN Ombudsman for Mental Health and Developmental Disability
FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO: mn.gov/dhs/adult-protection//