Twelve annual training hours are required for each license holder. Of the twelve hours, each license holder must have a minimum of one hour specific to a children's mental health topic, and one hour specific to Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders. If newly licensed, there is a specific FASD training video that is required (see below). As needed, consult the licensor with questions about what may qualify as training hours. Provide training certificates, if applicable. It is best practice to keep copies for your own records. Use the training record form below to keep track of your trainings.
CFC Training Record (PDF)
The Department of Human Services has approved the following series of videos to meet the SUID component when individuals are not receiving face-to-face, classroom, or online SUID training. All videos must be viewed to meet the SUID training requirement.
The Department of Human Services has approved the following series of videos to meet the AHT component when license holders are not receiving face-to-face, classroom, or online AHT training. All videos must be viewed to meet the AHT training requirement.
- Never Shake: Preventing Shaken Baby Syndrome (English)
- Never Shake: Preventing Shaken Baby Syndrome (Spanish)
- The Doctors - Shaken Baby Syndrome
- Forever Shaken
Children's Mental Health Training:
For the CMH Training Questionnaire (initial training)
These are options for online training that will meet your annual CMH requirement. You are not required to complete any of these videos. There currently is no certificate or post-test available for the following trainings. So, in order to verify completion of a training, write a paragraph summarizing anything notable you learned from the video, how you may apply it to foster parenting, and if you recommend this training for other foster families (and why). You may provide a hard copy of the written summary, or you may email it to your licensor. Document the date of completion.
- Children's Mental Health for Resource Families - Anxiety (1.5 Hours-Classroom)
- Children's Mental Health for Resource Families - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder-ADHD (1.5 Hours-Classroom)
- Children's Mental Health for Resource Families - Depression (1.5 Hours-Classroom)
- Children's Mental Health for Resource Families - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder-OCD (1.5 Hours-Classroom)
- Children's Mental Health for Resource Families - Autism (1.5 Hours-Classroom)
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD):
Normalcy & the Reasonable & Prudent Parent Standard Training:
Additional Training Resources:
To verify online training videos/content when there is no applicable certificate to be obtained, write/type a paragraph summarizing: (1) anything notable you learned from the training, (2) how you may apply this knowledge to foster parenting and (3) if you would recommend this training for other foster families (and why). You may provide a hard copy of the written summary, or you may email it to your licensor. Include the title of the training and date of completion at the top of the summary.
- Center for Advanced Studies in Child Welfare
- North American Council on Adoptable Children
- NAMI - National Alliance on Mental Illness
- MACMH - Minnesota Association for Children's Mental Health
- MCCCA - Minnesota Council of Child Caring Agencies
- MN Adopt
- CEED - Center for Early Education and Development
- PACER Center
- Minnesota Mental Health
- Foster Parent College
- National Alliance of Children's Trust and Prevention Funds
- Foster Care and Adoptive Community
- Texas A&M Extension
- Dr. Spock (Child Development Information)
- Treating Head Lice
- Parent Further
- Minnesota Parent
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- University of MN Children, Youth & Family Consortium Training
- Develop Tool
- National Foster Parent Association
- MN Foster Parent Association
- Difficult Child - Nurtured Heart Approach
- University of MN Adoption Medicine Clinic
- Child Trauma Academy
- Attachment & Trauma Network, Inc.
- Back to School Challenges for Children Impacted by Trauma
- Proof Alliance
- Child Welfare League of America